Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Immersed in the past

My good friend Nan is in town this week and she and I have known each other since the 8th grade.

We had breakfast together this week and she asked me about B. Toward the end of that relationship, we had emailed back and forth discussing heartbreak and cheating boyfriends, and she wanted to check-in on how I was doing since the breakup. Over pancakes and sausage and hot steaming coffee, she asked me a series of questions having to do with my feelings since I left him and when I looked up, I stared at her blankly and thought to myself, "who?"

Is it possible that being at home, in this time capsule, I actually forgot about all of the heartbreak inflicted by B.? Have I regressed so much in my mental state of being in high school/college, that B. simply does not exist because he doesn't come into my life several years later?

Could it be that by focusing on my first love, I have forgotten about any and all subsequent relationships that broke my heart?

On the one hand, that is awesome! Talk about the resiliency of the human heart!

On the other hand, am I broken? Is my heart so wounded that I no longer have the capacity to deal with any pain after the first heartbreak? Am I so damaged from that first relationship that I am now stunted in my recovery? Am I unable to process anything or anyone else because I'm so immersed in my own history and can't get out of the past? Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment