Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Friday, November 4, 2011

"You're a catch"

How many of us dream of meeting someone and being considered "a catch" in their eyes?

A friend of mine recently wrote a book about love and marriage, and in it, she has a dedication to her husband that simply says, "you're a catch!"

Her one line is so simplistic and so profound.  It means you are valuable.  You are unique. You are one of the few that come along, and I am SO glad I caught you.

"Catch".  The word itself is so pro-active, so driven, so assertive.  It's not at all passive or reflective of accepting the status quo.  It's about going out there, being purposeful about your choices, and seeking out what is the best. And when you do have your eye on the prize, then you GRAB it. You don't wait for it to come to you. You reach for it and you quickly take it off-the-market before someone else does.

I'll provide an example. I don't fish, but I imagine that when you fish, you want to "catch" the best out there.  The biggest fish, perhaps.  The yummiest one.  The more/most unique one.  That is why there is "the catch of the day!"

In any case, the point I'm making is that we should look for that one who is a "catch" for us.  And we should also be confident enough that we are a catch ourselves.  When I think about it this way, then I am oh-so-grateful that when I was "caught" by the wrong people, they threw me back into the lake/pond/ocean.  I am also glad that when I have been the one doing the catching, I've been able to throw back the ones that haven't been a "catch" in my eyes. That being said, at least I was rational enough to throw them back and to wait for something better to come along.

So, a reminder to myself: believe that there is better out there.  Believe that I am better and that I am a catch and therefore also deserving of a catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment