Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The undocumented life

Recently, I've begun to wonder whether my life has meaning if it is not being documented.  I watched a movie a long time ago, in which a divorcing couple reconciles and they talk about the significance of being there to document each other's lives.  Their statement rang true to me then and has continued to linger in my thoughts ever since.

Whenever I am single, I wonder if my life holds meaning because no one else knows what's happening other than myself.  In a relationship, I have someone to update, to talk to about my day, to vouch for my activities, to care about and also document my existence.  Without a partner, and sometimes when I don't talk to friends, I wonder if anyone knows that I exist.

There is that infamous quote from Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living."

But what about the "undocumented/unnoticed" life?  Doesn't the undocumented life feel equally unworthy too?

No comments:

Post a Comment