Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Meeting the parents

My mom and dad are here and visiting for the week! Despite the random blizzard we've been getting in the states, they were able to arrive safely and soundly -- after several time zone changes, of course.

Today, we're driving down an hour south to meet Jay and spend the day together. Plans include architectural walk, possible zoo outing, and then enjoying the nightlife and the local eateries.

Today is the day my parents meet my boyfriend; my dude gets to meet my parents.

The last time my parents met my boyfriend was just after high school, when I was 18. It was with Robert, my first love, my high school sweetheart, and we went to downtown Disney where I made reservations at a fancy restaurant.  My dad was hilariously entertaining that night, making it utterly impossible to have any kind of serious conversation, much less convey the seriousness of us as a couple.

It's now 11 years later and for some reason, slightly less serious-feeling.
it's different now for multiple reasons:

1) I'm not seeking my parents' approval and I don't need it.  I'm secure enough (ironic, eh?) that even if my parents express doubt-- it doesn't change how I feel or how good things have been with Jay.

2) I'll live even if Jay and I don't work out in the long-run.  Now this is maybe a little extreme, but I'm pretty certain I won't absolutely die if he and I decide we're not the right ones for each other. After experiencing the devastating heartbreaks I've had in the past, I've accepted that what doesn't kill me, well, won't kill me.  Heartbreak never killed anybody, now did it? -- That's a direct quote from one of my dearest friends' mom.

3) I don't need everyone to be best friends. As the planner of any social gathering, it's only natural to want everyone to love each other. You want everyone to have a grand ol' time. While I used to be perfectionistic about it, I've learned that you can't control it all, now can you?

Now watch me eat my words after this trip.

Will get back to you afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment