Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Thursday, February 13, 2014

I am love-able challenge: Day 2

I am loveable because... 

I try to love others the way they want to be loved.

With Valentine's day coming up, I'm very aware of how my single friends feel, and especially my recently-single brother. A few months ago, when he underwent a minor surgery for a staph infection, I sent him chocolate-covered strawberries & apples to wish him a happy recovery. He said it was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for him. Especially since his own girlfriend (at the time) didn't even take the day off of work to check on him.

Fast-forward a few months and it is almost Valentine's day, and he is a recently-single, heart-broken young man, fresh out of a 4-year-relationship. Today is probably a hard day for him. If you think I'm all about commitment, then wait until you meet my little brother. His only relationships have been long-term, and I'm talking lonnnnng term. His 1st girlfriend ever lasted about the same number of years and they were high school sweethearts who went to college together! He is all about marrying his first girlfriend, and if not the 1st, then definitely, the 2nd. He is completely heartbroken, and has been for the last month. So today, I have done my best to contact him, wish him love, and remind him of how loved he is! 

Unfortunately, I can't send my brothers any delectables because he is living abroad. I don't even know how I would order something online in the language of the country! Still, I had good intentions and I think he knows I'm trying to convey my love in the best way that I can. Sometimes, it's not enough to just love someone. We need to express it their way: the way they understand and want to be loved!

Similarly, I strive to love Jay in his way by giving him the bicycle-related apparatus he's been wanting. Why? Because he loves biking! If it were based on my decision, I would not encourage him to bike in the dark, much less buy him bicycle lights for nighttime commuting. But this is for him, right? And not me. So, I'll love him in his way. With bicycle lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment