Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Grieving

During dinner with my my glowing, pregnant best friend this weekend, we talked about me and how I'm feeling these days.  I started crying as we talked, and had to restrict myself from letting it all pour-out.

Basically, I told her that I am unbelievably pissed right now.  Not at B., but at myself.  I am so pissed at ME and the time I've wasted from being in a relationship with him.  I've lost 2 years in my life because of this relationship, and indirectly, I've lost way more than 2 years.  The consequences of this relationship will haunt my future relationships, and more importantly, it already haunts me because I realize now stupid I am, and how badly my decision-making can be.  I am more aware of my responsibilities in the relationship and more than anything, I am terrified of me.

In the 2 years that B. and I were together, I gave up my social life and declined so many social activities that I would have been gone to if I were single.  Consequently, I've lost time with so many friends who have since moved because they are now completing their internships/residencies.  I've also lost time with by pregnant bestie because now she's a mommy and our relationship will be a bit different.  Who knows what would have happened in those last 2 years if I hadn't been with B.?  To begin, I wouldn't have been ashamed all the time because I was with a cheater.  I would have lived my life without trying to monitor another person's.  I would have lived my life so much more,  met so many more people, had so many more social activities. I'm sure I would have expanded my world in many new ways.  I don't know and I'll never know what it would have been like.  But still, I'm grieving what-was and what-could-have-been, and what-the-future-might-be, and it all feels like significant losses-- losses that I'll never get back.

The bottom line is also that I hate me right now.  I hate who I became in that relationship and I hate myself for having stayed with someone who hut me so much and so often.  I hate me and what I became in the relationship.  I have such anger and disrespect toward myself, and I don't know what to do about it. This self-loathing makes me feel completely terrified of future relationships, much less meeting other people.  I just want to be alone with my dog and hide-out from the world.  I want to run away from me until I become someone who can be healthy in a romantic relationship... until I can be with others without losing my sense of self.

But currently, I am not any of the things that I respect.  I am someone who jumps in too quickly and too intensely.  I am someone who offers everything and keeps giving more even when taken advantaged of and stepped on.  I am the kind of person who lives in denial and fantasy and hope for too long that he will change, and that we can live happily ever after.  I hate myself so much right now, that it's difficult to remember the relationship and why he was bad for me.  Because it isn't him that I worry about in the future, it's me.  I'm worried about me being bad for me, and as the history shows, I am very very bad for me.

I am so angry and scared and I want to tell the whole world: "Save me from me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment