Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Revenge?

"The best revenge after a break-up is to look good."

I never heard of that before, but it suuure makes sense to me!  Without explicitly planning that, I've always aspired for this goal without even knowing it.

After my first breakup, which was with Robert, I caked myself with heavy make-up every single time I went back home to visit.  Whether it was a trip to the grocery store, or a fun night out with friends, I made sure I looked impeccable... just in case I might run into him.  Annnd just in case his friends decide to relay the message that I looked sizzling hot.

I still try to look good when I go home, because as luck would have it, I bet the one time I go out in sweatpants and a t-shirt, I'll run into him. Only, I haven't run into him yet.


As for my breakup with B. last year, I haven't thought to look good and I've done the opposite instead.  I don't mean to say I look bad, but I was definitely tired of dressing to impress, and making so much effort for him, period.  Getting him out of my life was so rough, that I was just so tired and so drained. 

But I did start taking care of myself from within: eating healthy, being more physically active, sleeping normal hours, hanging out with friends, doing things that rejuvenate me like cooking and watching movies... All of those things made me feel better on the inside, and it was strange that I really didn't care about how I looked on the outside.

Still, I have to tell you that it's true what they say! Feeling good on the inside does translate into looking good on the outside. When I saw B. that fateful day week when he suddenly showed up, his eyes just about popped when he saw me.  First reaction? "Wow you look really good!"

And it's true that on that day, I was wearing a dress, some leggings, and some very cute flats. I had weighed myself and learned that I've lost about 6 pounds over the past few months because of my eating and working out. I know I looked good. But I didn't do it for him this time around.  I was dressing cute for me. I was eating healthy for me. I was working out for me. I was doing all these things for me, and in turn, they helped make me feel and look even better. OK, now, the petty part of me also wants to emphasize that he did not look good. He looked like he gained weight, his face seemed sweaty, his hair seemed messy, and he appeared to aged since I last saw him. Not attractive. Not attractive at all.

So, in retrospect, I guess you can call that my revenge. It wasn't my plan to look good for him, but ha! In your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment