Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Monday, March 10, 2014

A taste of family

In spite of a great weekend, I still feel anxious. There's even more to lose now than before.

I am officially head-over-heels in adoration of both Jay and his family.

During one of our car rides to lunch, I remember sitting in the car together wondering what it would be like if they were my in-laws someday.  I know, I know. Dramatic and over-thinking it?  Definitely. But I tend to live in the future, sometimes. Well, only in relationships and wondering about their future.

I think this is also a reminder of how much I miss my family: my mom, dad, brother, grandparents, that feeling of "home" and being taken care of.

When Jay's parents arrived, they brought a carload full of frozen foods, snacks, and two gigantic packages of toilet paper for both of their sons. They brought, basically, the same things my parents would bring: critical ingredients and flavors from home.

Parents: they take care of you, provide basic needs for you when you're a child, and continue to know (ahead of time) what essentials you will need when you're all grown up.  There aren't enough odes to parents! Although there is no perfect parent, I do think that mine and the ones I know -- are generally self-sacrificing, generous, and completely devoted to their children's well-being.

I mean, don't get me wrong. parents can still mess you up. They can also be well-intentioned at the same time.


therapycartoon

No comments:

Post a Comment