Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Disappointment

How do you prepare from being disappointed by your partner?

I tentatively asked Jay about his upcoming plans because I have a possible social event happening during the same week he'll have vacation time. He texted back to say he'll be going to his parents' home for the weekend but would love to attend such an event with me.

What a nice response.  How disappointing it was for me.  I felt momentarily devastated that he didn't say: "Come home with me for a few days!"

I'm also confused because I don't get why he would "love to" attend an event with me when he obviously has already made important plans!

I'm utterly disappointed which means I had a lot of hope.  I didn't know I had such hopes!  That's the most surprising part. So now I'm kicking myself for having been this hopeful. What the heck was I thinking?! Did I assume that by meeting his parents, he's now going to want to invite me to his childhood home? (secret answer = yes). While I'm partly mad at him, I'm so mad at myself for having an unrealistic expectation. I couldn't respond to his message, actually. It took me a few hours before I could provide a nonchalant text.

So, it's been hours later and I still feel crestfallen. This is why I should have continued to maintain the distinction between I" from "we" and "he" from "me."  He made plans for his vacation and didn't include me. It's perfectly  fine-- people should be able to make plans without each other, especially to hang out with their families!

I'm just disappointed because my expectations were obviously so different.  How mortifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment