Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"Ask and you shall receive"

In the last few weeks, I've begun asking for more from Jay-- not materially, but emotionally.
I've been taking more risks with my heart, and hoping he will be able to accept me-- emotionally.
I've started to tell him things that I feel. 
For example, when he asks about my day, I have begun to provide more details rather than a cursory overview.

I'm also less scared of boring him. 
Slowly, I've been sharing with him, my hopes, dreams, and aspirations.
I've told him about foods I want to cook, dishes that I want to make, and in these ways, I'm letting him see a glimpse into my future plans.

I've also been sharing with him my negative feelings, like disappointment and frustration. 
I've been homesick these last two weeks and missing my family, immensely. For the first time ever, I told him last night how stressed I feel, and how overwhelming the semester currently feels for me.

All of these disclosures may seem like minor details to share, but they feel significant to me. What's even more surprising has been that the more I share with Jay, the more I've been able to receive.
"I miss you. Can we skype?"
"Of course!"
"I love you."
"I love you too."
"Please text me when you get there so I know you're safe, OK?"
"OK. I promise. I will."
"I'd love to throw Mr. Z a birthday party. Are you free next weekend to spend it with us?"
"Of course I would! What does Mr. Z. want as a gift?" 

I've asked and I've received.
This must be what a good relationship is all about.
It definitely lives up to the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment