Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Betrayal

I was listening to a new song today and I realized how limited the English vocabulary is.  In other languages, there are so many words that simply don't exist in the U.S.

In any case, this song was about betrayal, and as you listen to the lyrics, you think that it's the betrayed person singing, but then it ends with him talking about wishing the other person good luck and wanting the best for them/her.  The song, once you soak in all of it, is about betrayal to yourself.  Betraying yourself at the expense of making the partner happy.  So, "go on and go forth to be happy.  I have sacrificed myself in all ways possible, let this be the last and final thing that I do for you.  Let this be the last time that I prioritize you over myself. The last time that I betray myself and my needs for someone else."

Wow.
It was SO powerful hear and oh-so-true.

I promptly broke into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment