Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Grocery Shopping, Week 2

A few days ago, I spent roughly $100 on groceries.  $100! That amount of money used to last me for weeks! But now it’s going to only get me through this week and probably even less because I'll need more veggies!! 

After hitting the gym on Match Day morning, I went into shopping mode.  Last time I went shopping, I ended up running out of protein (i.e., meat) and doing a lot of cheating (in my eating) so I wasn’t starving. But this time, with my Match celebration in mind, I was liberated to shop and get what I normally wouldn’t-- dessert-wise!! 



Here are my purchases:

Proteins:
Ground buffalo
Ground lamb
Lamb chops (2)
Canned oyster
Organic chicken broth? Does that fit here?

Veggies & Fruits:
Leek
Celery
Carrots
Canned organic pumpkin
Bananas
Apples (unpictured because they were already put away)

Fats:
Almond butter—crunchy
Organic coconut milk (2)

Desserts:
Vanilla extract
Organic dark chocolate


As I put away the groceries that day, I finished off the can of oysters. I couldn’t imagine cooking an entire meal and waiting for it while starving, so I needed some protein into my system.  Man, I can’t begin to tell you how yummy that was, the nutty, salty flavor of seafood, mixed with the rich silkiness of extra virgin olive oil! The oysters help me last through my very own process of making homemade delicious organic pumpkin soup!

For my pumpkin soup, I simply sautéed diced onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. I added salt, garlic salt, and some pepper. Then I blended it all with organic canned pumpkin and lastly, added some coconut milk. You can see my result below! I cannot wait to have this for the rest of the week! See my large batch?  It’s quite filling!


Organic pumpkin soup straight from the blender!
Add cayenne pepper and some parsley on top for decoration and color :)

No comments:

Post a Comment