Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A waste of...

I have an aversion toward wastefulness.  I hate wasting time, food, energy, you name it!  I cannot stand wasting.

My brother is currently dating a woman who I really like.  My only (but major) annoyance is her tendency to waste food.  She'll take a couple of bites out of her meal and throw the rest away.  She'll order a giant steaming cup of coffee and toss it after just a couple of sips.

Wasting.  Whether it's a tangible object thrown away or emotional investment thrown into the wind, I find it gut-wrenching. 

Case-in-point: all of my failed relationships.

I look back and feel like I've wasted a lot of unneccessary time, energy, resources, and potential on boys/men who have broken my heart.  My friends comfort me of course.  They say, "Nono! Those are life experiences.  You will grow from them and you will know more about what you want."

My friends are partly right.  I agree that I'm growing (and will continue to grow) from the challenges that life throws at me.  At the same time, I still look back and feel like I've wasted way to much time with people who weren't appropriate for me.  A good friend once gave me some wise words of comfort when I asked if I was a magnet for mean men.  She said that I wasn't necessarily problematic as a person.  But I do tend to hold onto relationships even after seeing all the red flags.  Whereas most people would see the problems and say, "thanks but no thanks! I release you back int othe sea!"  I don't let them go, and I instead continue to hold on and to have hope.

So maybe that's the wasted time.  Perhaps none of my ex-partners were a waste of my life experiences.  But the length of time I spent with them could have definitely be shortened.  From now on, I want to place more value on my time and to make sure I don't waste anymore than I already have.

Speaking of waste... the paleo diet is scaring me because of how much "waste" I have to clean out.  I have so many yummy foods and snacks that are considered NONpaleo, but that I don't have the heart to throw away. What am I supposed to do with my ricotta cheese? My soy milk? My soy sauce? My tofu? My mango and milk ice cream bars? My chocolate drumsticks with peanut chips on top? My sesame balls wrapped in rice? Throw them all away? That would be wasting -- and wasting is so heartbreaking for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment