Enchanted forest

Enchanted forest
Fall decoration @ Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010

Monday, January 2, 2012

Re-experiencing friendships

I ended up going out with friends the other night-- friends who know my first love. It was fine, actually.  It was fun, surprisingly! I made a purposeful effort not to a) think about Robert or to even b) associate those friends with Robert. For the first time, I simply enjoyed going out with these girls, and I actually allowed myself to think of them as being more than just Robert's friends. Suddenly, they became more multidimensional-- their identities, their experiences, their jokes, etc.  The world seemed more multidimensional too, and it wasn't only about relationships and heartbreak anymore.  It was about their life experiences, job experiences, our dynamics in-the-moment, and our collective memories of high school and life ever since.  I think I can like them now... now that they are considered to be so much more than just my ex's friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment